Fixing disappearing menubars with appmenu-gtk (Freeciv)

Hi,

I could do with some technical pointers about appmenu-gtk, and how to
make it steal some menubars but not others.

I'm from Freeciv upstream. As well as a regular menubar, Freeciv has
some embedded menubar widgets on its tabs. Unity seems to work well with
the main menubar (at least in Natty), but the embedded ones disappear
without trace. This makes essential Freeciv functionality unreachable
when run under Unity.

All the gory details are at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/freeciv/+bug/743265>.
Here are some specific questions:

 - All menubars are being suppressed, but "dbusmenu-dumper" only dumps
   out the main menubar. Does that mean that something is successfully
   distinguishing between "main" and "secondary" menubars? If so, is it
   a bug in the appmenu stuff that the "secondary" ones are nonetheless
   being suppressed?

 - Is there something I can do in Freeciv to fix or work around this?
   I saw in the appmenu-gtk source that it looks for a property
   "ubuntu-no-proxy". Can / should I decorate individual menubars with
   this to keep appmenu-gtk off them? Is there any guidance as to what
   this feature is intended for?

(I already tried #ayatana on IRC, but this week isn't a good one for
reaching Ubuntu devs...)

Cheers,
  Jacob

[resent after subscribing to ML; sorry if duplicate]

Follow ups