Re: Comments on the Device & User Menu specs

Mark Shuttleworth wrote on 02/08/11 09:17:

> Hi Jeremy, thanks for your mail.
>
> On 02/08/11 00:35, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
>>
>> Since I help out on the Documentation Team, I value clear user
>> interface terminology so that users, powerusers, and maybe even
>> developers can use the same, understandable language. The old session
>> menu name became unclear when System Settings was added to it, but I
>> have to say that "device menu" is an even worse name. I strongly
>> prefer calling this menu the "system menu" since the items here are
>> generally system actions or configurations. Also, it's parallel to
>> the power menu having a power settings button and the sound menu
>> having a sound settings button.
>
> +1 from me. I'd like to hear MPT's opinion on this, but if he raises
> no objections consider that an approval to move forward. If he does,
> I'll be glad to resolve it one way or the other.

Unlike the sound, messaging, and clock menus, this menu isn't referred
to by name in any external settings panels. So the effect of any name
will be quite small as long as the Ubuntu help is well-hidden.

That said, I see a benefit and a drawback of calling it the "system
menu". The benefit is that it will be a little more familiar for people
who didn't use 11.04, but who did use an earlier version that had a
"System" menu containing similar items. (For example, people upgrading
from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS.)

The drawback is that it will seem awkward that we have a "system menu"
with a title that is an icon, but isn't the Ubuntu logo.

>> http://pad.lv/815077 was reported about the lack of a Restart button.
>> It appears as though the spec is that Restart will only be shown if
>> restart-required updates have not been applied. A typical user will
>> want to restart to Windows or OS X. A fair number of developers have
>> another Ubuntu install or Linux distribution they would like to
>> reboot to use. Requiring users to log out before they restart seems
>> to make a common usecase more frustrating. If the desire is to reduce
>> menu option clutter, I suggest keeping the option as Shut Down (or
>> Power Off might be a good descriptive alternative). And then use a
>> pop-up like Gnome Shell to allow Restart, Shutdown (automatic after
>> 60 seconds), or Cancel. See http://i.imgur.com/lLPoL.png
>
> +1 also.

Last week I saw visual design work for a new shutdown screen that had no
"Restart" button. So I checked this with John, and discovered that I had
misunderstood his design. The intent is for there to be no unprompted
"Restart" command, in the shutdown dialog or anywhere else. The only
restart interface is supposed to be in prompts, for example in the
Update Manager dialog telling you that updates requiring restart have
completed.

- --
mpt