Re: Comments on the Device & User Menu specs

> We might drop the launcher visibility of mounted drives, based on user > testing.
NO!

I PREY this doesn't happen. I LOVE having mounted devices show up in the Launcher. I also love having an icon show on the Desktop. The desktop icon always reminds me I have something mounted when I close my windows. And I routinely access the launcher icon of mounted devices.
I complained to Microsoft that Windows 7 does not show an icon for attached USB thumb drives in the Taskbar =)  Having mounted devices show up in the Launcher is one of the things that gave it a big PLUS over Windows in my evaluation of the two OSs.
> > http://pad.lv/815077 was reported about the lack of a Restart button.> > It appears as though the spec is that Restart will only be shown if> > restart-required updates have not been applied. A typical user will> > want to restart to Windows or OS X. A fair number of developers have> > another Ubuntu install or Linux distribution they would like to reboot> > to use. Requiring users to log out before they restart seems to make a> > common usecase more frustrating. If the desire is to reduce menu> > option clutter, I suggest keeping the option as Shut Down (or Power> > Off might be a good descriptive alternative). And then use a pop-up> > like Gnome Shell to allow Restart, Shutdown (automatic after 60> > seconds), or Cancel. See http://i.imgur.com/lLPoL.png
I really hope common sense is used here. One of the biggest reasons I dumped gnome3-shell for Unity was because of the crazy design Gnome used in the "session menu." They make it so complicated to shutdown and restart the computer. IMHO Gnome-3 has made a lot of horrible design choices. Their design of the Session Menu is but one example. If it wasn't for Unity, I would have surely left the Gnome environment for KDE or some as yet undiscovered desktop.
The # 1 way I shutdown and restart the computer (which are commands I use regularly) is via keyboard shortcut. On Ubuntu 10.04 I hit:  super + S, up-arrow, enter. I use this command multiple times a day. It is quick and very fast, requiring little effort. In addition, one of the first things I do when installing Ubuntu is DISABLE the Shutdown Confirmation Dialog Prompt (gconf-editor > apps > indicator-session > suppress_logout_restart_shutdown) that asks me to verify the command I just selected. When I select Shutdown, it infuriates me to have a dialog pop up asking me if I want to do what I just said to do.
Adding a popup window in order to shutdown and restart just makes the process more complicated and requires more effort. It also creates the appearance of more activity, which is less calming. I believe the "classic" setup is best. The "Session Menu" should contain explicit options for Log Out, Suspend, Restart, and Shutdown that can be accessed quickly from keyboard shortcut. If space is needed or clutter needs to be controlled, the last things to touch should be: Log Out, Suspend, Restart, and Shutdown. These should be the core/foundation commands for this menu.
Requiring a popup would kill this functionality. The exception I could see would be if a keyboard shortcut (e.g., super + S) is all that is needed to bring up the popup menu. Then the user could hit: Super + S and the popup menu would "instantly appear" and the user could then use the arrow-key + Enter to select his choice. But I'm reluctant to see more popups and prefer the Ubuntu 10.04 designed Session Menu. Popups get tiring. The way the Session Menu exists in Ubuntu 10.04 strikes users as more integrated and "stable." It is a good design. Hopefully 11.10 will start using it again.

> > I very much like having System Settings at the top of the system menu> > and the Lock/Sleep/Power options at the buttom. I also like the> > Software Updates status incorporated into the system menu.
I was overjoyed to see screenshots of Oneiric showing Shut Down as being the last item in the Session Menu again. This makes use of keyboard shortcuts to control the session a LOT easier to use.
these aren't just minor issues to me. these functions are critical to how I use my computer and why I choose to use the OS I did.