Re: the Device & User Menu concept should be Scraped

Well I apologize if I came across disrespectful. But I was active in discussions with the development of Gnome and the people there basically had no interest in how people actually use compiuters. therer were numerous voices complaining about the decisions Gnome ended up making. People are still complaining, as evident by the user list I subscribe to. I tried to approach the changes with an open mind but found them to be unworkable. So I feel Gnome deserves valid criticism on these choices. I have to assume the ubuntu leadership felt similarly about the choices they were making. Else they wouldn't have pushed forward with unity.
As for Ubuntu 10.04, I never said i don't think 10.04 needs updating. I was refering specifically to the Session Menu indicator. Were u referring to this? I think the Session Menu that exists in 10.04 is highly functional and is the best setup on all computer OSs for managing sessions. it's disappointing that it's basically getting thrown out for 11.10. This is the talk anyways. I don't understand the reasoning behind putting all those other items in the Session menu. The session menu items are being pushed aside for menu items of stuff that is already represented elsewhere via Status Indicators, on the Launcher, or is accessible via the Dash.
Ctrl Alt Tab I know about. Are you able to get it to move from "activities" to the "user/session menu" by tapping the left-arrow key? I'm not. I have to tap the right arrow-key all day to get to it. Without going into too much detail, the keyboard access is a joke compared to what's available on Unity. Even  Windows 7 has better keyboard access to the taskbar and Start menu. For example to shutdown in Win7 I tap Super, right-arrow, enter. I haven't figured out how to achieve somtheing similar in gnome-shell.