Re: We need AppLauncher screen edge alignment configuration!

2011/8/22 Owas Lone <hello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Niklas,
>
> You have some valid points here BUT this problem has already been
> solved. In fact, it was solved in the first version of Unity. The
> solution is autohide. Launcher autohides by default on Ubunut making
> it effectively disappear and give all the space to the app.

Autohide is a hack, not a solution. I use a hybrid configuration on my
workstation (one rotated monitor, one normal) and Unity looks hideous on the
rotated monitor. It's visually unbalanced and takes up a huge amount of the
(scarce) horizontal screen estate. Please try it out for a few moments to
see how bad it looks.

My "solution" is to set the unrotated monitor as the primary monitor (the
launcher always appears on the primary monitor) but that's also a hack, not
a solution.

My preferred solution would be to have the launcher autodetect monitor
rotation (taking account multiple monitors in hybrid configurations) and
adjust itself so it appears correctly. It would also be nice if we could
choose which monitor it would appear in, rather than doing windows-like
hacks like changing primary monitors so the the primary is always on the
left.