Re: Making menus easier to find

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28 August 2011 21:10, matt <m.richardson.1990@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think that for new users having the menus hidden until mouse over by
> > default is not necessarily a preferential option. Could the menus be
> > shown by default (window title in the middle), with the option to change
> > back to the current behaviour?
> >
> > Also, an option (this time not default) to place the menus in the
> > title-bar of the application would be nice. For restored windows the
> > window title would then be right aligned.
>
> This general question has been asked numerous times and the answer has
> been WONTFIX. The reason is that window titles can often be very long
> and not everyone has a large screen like you do. Personally I have a
> 1280x800 screen but we also want to support 1024x600 screens.
>
> Try uninstalling indicator-appmenu* if you want traditional always
> visible menus.

I would be curious to see what it would feel like to have the items switched
by default. In such a scenario, only the App Name would be visible on the
panel, and the menus would be visible by default. Upon mouseover of the app
name, the app title would slide to the right.

This would solve the "invisible targets" problem at the expense of not being
able to see the title of the document directly. However, I wonder the
document content is enough to recognize the window so that the title is not
absolutely necessary. It would be a good experiment for user testing.

Just my 2 cents.