Re: Thunderbird needs tighter panel integration

2011/9/7 Carl Ansell <afccarl1994@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Thanks, I found a bug report on this and the bug has since been fixed. It
> now also notifies me of new messages and turns the envelope blue. However, I
> still need to have Thunderbird open for this to work, which makes it a bit
> pointless as the Unity launcher has the counter to also alert me of new
> messages.
>
> This is why I propose that Thunderbird should be allowed to run as a
> background process to check for messages, so that the Thunderbird window
> does not need to be constantly open.

This is something that has been bugging me for years!

On Windows, there is a extension that can hide Thunderbird into the
notification area. I don't really know what is involved, but wouldn't it be
possible to create an Linux-specific extension that hides Thunderbird into
its indicator-applet? Or maybe this could be handled by the applet itself,
with no need for an extension (can a different process hide/show a window? I
think wmctrl can do that - if so, the modifications to the indicator applet
shouldn't be too complex!)