Re: New design: Opening applications and documents automatically at login

On 20 October 2011 11:34, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd appreciate your feedback on the design.
> <https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/LoginItems>

I like porting Nautilus's "Open with Other Application" chooser to the
Login Items screen. The current Add button in Startup Applications is
rather un-user-friendly, especially if one clicks the Browse button.

GNOME has really overloaded the "Shell" term. I'd suggest renaming
"Add Shell Command" to something like "Add Custom Command". In your
mockup of the "Add Shell Command" dialog, you show a file folder; I
think that's a bad idea as the file-browser isn't really a good way to
look for shell commands. If it's not too difficult to add, bash
auto-completion would be cool though.

Some examples of custom shell commands are "chromium-browser
--incognito" or "transmission-gtk -m" (to start Transmission
minimized).

A drop-down box for the + button is new to GNOME, isn't it?

As a side point, I think if  "Name & Photo" & "Security" are 2
separate subpanels, then those subpanels would be mostly empty.

Jeremy