Re: New design: Opening applications and documents automatically at login

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> For some people, it is useful to open particular applications or
> documents every time they log in.
>
> (For example, every day when I log in at work, I launch XChat,
> Firefox, and a time sheet text document.)
>
> Every version of Ubuntu has had a "Startup Applications" settings
> window for choosing applications to open automatically at login.
>
> Gnome 3 in Ubuntu 11.10 now has an integrated System Settings window
> (gnome-control-center). But it does not yet integrate these particular
> settings.
>
> So, yesterday I finished a design for these settings in the System
> Settings window. My design extends the existing "User Accounts" panel;
> this avoids adding an extra panel, lets administrators troubleshoot
> login items for other accounts, and lets them set items for the guest
> account. It also allows opening files, not just applications.
>
> I'd appreciate your feedback on the design.
> <https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/LoginItems>

Very nice, I quite like it!

One thing that I would like it to support is mounting partitions. I
have my music on a separate internal NTFS partition so that it can be
accessed by Windows. At the moment, the first thing I have to do when
I log in is browse to that folder in Nautilus so that it gets mounted
(by gvfs?). The only way currently to have a partition auto-mount on
login is via /etc/fstab, which affects all users and requires root
access.

An "Add Partition..." option below the "Add Shell Command..." option
would be absolutely fantastic. (Obviously the label and location are
subject to change).

Just my two cents,
Evan