Re: Dash "More Apps" and "Find Files" options are redundant

Yes, that is true we now need 5 clicks.
And if you close and reopen the dash that is another 2 or 3 extra clicks.

Anyway the question is what is that users are looking for ?

the dash has lots more potential to be easier and smarter than the old menus...

-Example1: Is it a recently installed app ? Then the recently installed could appear when you open dash (right in the main dash screen where new users will spot it quickly and not just in the apps lens. Do they even know or need to know what is an "apps lens").

-Example2: Is it an app that the user uses on a regular basis but prefers not to have it cluttering the launcher or visible to everyone (like work stuff)? I think the user should be able to customize the dash shortcuts from a configuration screen.

Linuxmint has a configuration utility that lets you config those shortcuts in the menu. They dont want inexperience users to mess up the menu either, so the configuration is separate.

mint menu config example:
http://slashsarc.com/tag/linux-mint/

The "Main dash screen" indeed needs work and some customization to become and practical. Search should not be used for everything, but for when the user really needs to. Search is great, but it has always been for when users cant find things easily, is not something they want to do every 5 minutes for the same thing.

That reminds me about search history...

Configuring shortcuts will always be essential. I for one dont want to search for this mailing list everytime, it's why i added it to my bookmarks/shortcuts and to my mail, which is faster and takes less effort than doing another search.