Re: Reconsidering default font substitutions

Metrics is far more important than looks for a replacement typography
for a simple reason: If metrics are different, then documents length
won't match.
A trained user (or at least trained enough to tell the difference
between two serif or sans serif fonts) will know that Arial looks
different and will get Arial for his/her documents. And if you search
for "Arial" in the Software Centre you'll get the MS core fonts
installer.
But let's imagine for a moment what would happen if the font is
replaced with a look-alike with different metrics:
What fitted exactly in the page and took n pages now doesn't fit
anymore and takes more or less pages than it should.
Result? "Ubuntu has nice fonts, they look exactly like windows... but
Libreoffice sucks because it breaks your word documents"

Typography is a tricky question, but I'm convinced that metrics is
better than looks if we need a replacement font. Of course, metrics
AND looks would be better, but that needs somebody working on it (and
dodging possible copyright claims). :-)