Re: Are Workspaces the right model?

On 11/01/2011 01:53 PM, Evan Huus wrote:

The only advantage the current implementation has in my opinion is
simplicity of representation - while I'm quite impressed by sets, I
have no clear idea how the user-interface for them would work. They
expose so many different states and actions that adding items to the
launcher (where the Workspace switcher currently is) would quickly
overload it.

For the basics, a set manager could be rather similar to the workspace switcher. That is, a launcher icon that brings up an overview of all sets and their windows. Sets would look much like workspaces then, but the wallpaper shouldn't be repeated per set.

Moving windows between sets would happen via dragging. Much like moving files between tiled file-manager views (on a single file-system). Shift-drag for adding a window to several sets, similar to how you might create copies of files.

There's already grouping of windows on a per application level. The question would be if it should be treated as being on the same, or a different level than explicitly created sets.

A set could be selected by a click anywhere on its area. Closing the overview on right click. Selecting several sets via shift-clicks.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/