Re: Are Workspaces the right model?

On 11/01/2011 04:49 PM, staticd wrote:
3)Technical issues:
a)how to deal with Z stacking across multiple sets.

At first I wanted to say similar to how Inkscape handles z-order and groups, each set having an internal z-order. But then you wouldn't be able to bring a single window of a lower set to above the until-then top set. Maybe having to raise the entire set would be OK, maybe not.

So thinking aloud:

If several sets are selected, a closed z-range is applied to every window of a set. That is, the stack consists of all windows of the first selected set, then above all windows of the second selected set ...

If afterwards only one of the sets gets selected, its z-stack is collapsed, that is the gaps that were occupied by windows from other sets are removed.

b)how to deal with different positions for the same window across sets.

I described layouts as associated with the sets. But to not run into trouble here, a size and position could be properties of windows. The manual layout mode would use those, but tiling layout modes would ignore them.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/