option to disable Unity launcher

For me personally, a garden variety dock on the bottom of my screen is still more useful than the Unity launcher. In this case, I am using Docky, and in the screenshot below, you can see both the launcher and Docky on my desktop, and it just looks more cluttered than it needs to:

http://i.imgur.com/vUQcW.jpg

Will Canonical ever permit the user to disable the launcher so that he or she can use the dock of their choice (or something else altogether)?

I don't follow this list consistently, so I am not clear on this, is it a matter of the devs haven't gotten around to it yet, or is the design team outright opposed to doing it?

Follow ups