Re: workspaces and multimonitor

If I'm understanding correctly, GianZap's alternative arrangement sounds
similar to the way workspaces behave in XMonad:  Every monitor shows one
workspace, but they share the same set of workspaces.  If you have
workspace 1 on monitor 1, and open some windows, and then switch monitor 2
to workspace 1, then all of the windows that you had open on monitor 1 show
up on monitor 2.  Workspaces in this system are rather like virtual
monitors that can be arbitrarily mapped to physical monitors.

It's my personal favourite solution to the workspaces+monitors problem, but
it does have a couple of weaknesses:

1) It deals poorly with windows spanning multiple monitors: what is
supposed to happen when a window is between two monitors and you switch one
of those monitors to a different workspace?

2) There are strange corner cases when your monitors aren't all the same
size/shape.  If you open windows on a large monitor, and then switch that
workspace to a smaller monitor, some of your windows can end up
off-screen.  If you try to resize the windows so that they keep the same
relative position on the smaller screen, then you can end up with windows
smaller than their minimum size.