Re: Unity Lens Mockup.

On 11/10/2011 12:19 AM, staticd wrote:

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM, James Jenner <james.g.jenner@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:james.g.jenner@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        I  don't like how the lens are looking for 11.10 in unity so I
        made come mock ups.

    I think all the mockups give the impression that selection of the
    lens directly affects the search bar, while not making it apparent
    that the whole lens area is affected. Overall though I think I
    like the second one the best, the other two will suffer as more
    lenses are added but do utilise the screen better.

    I don't mind the control at the top, which to me would make more
    sense as you have just selected the lens launcher and thus the
    lens selection is on the same level, kinda consistent with
    applications that have window controls or application controls
    along the top. In my mind, the lens selection should be near the
    top, not at the bottom (though maybe for a touch screen it's
    irrelevant as you would swipe between lenses I presume).

    Do you mind if I ask how you did the mockups? Do you just use The
    Gimp?

    Cheers,
    James.

I like them on the top too!
I suggested this a while back (https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg06884.html) and got a slightly warm response.I went ahead and made a patch to unity that puts the bar on top.(see mockup) I mailed the diff to the ayatana-dev mailling list but have got no response till now. I've attached a screen shot and the diff.