Re: The dash should display recent stuff.

i dunno about best possible use but it is a great idea and i think it could
be useful for a lot of people.
the problem that would arise for me is that my computer use is quite a bit
different than that.
i don't like e-mail clients, i don't really blog (i have a few but i don't
use them as much as i should), and i rarely download anything.
so unless it can open e-mail in a web browser or i actually start using my
blogs i'd be 0 for 3 with those most of the time.
most of the recent stuff for me would be programs on my launcher, painting
files which i'm working on or just finished, and nothing for music since
that lens doesn't work with the music player i like (exaile) so it's 1 for
3 there with the default lenses and recent files aren't always useful.
 recent stuff from the files lens could be made much more useful if you
could filter out file types from the dash home section. like i'm not likely
to be opening a painting i just finished but it's likely going to be a .png
file where the stuff i'm working on is going to be .ora and .xcf in order
to save layer data.

i think it should probably be set up so the dash home can have a few
different options as to sections to swap in and out by each user.  since
everyone uses their computer a bit differently i think it would be the best
solution and
there wouldn't need to be that many different sections to swap in and out
since most suggestions i've seen overlap a little bit.
i've made my own suggestion for it in the past but i find that i quite like
https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg07146.html
it's got some interesting ideas and would be great for users who don't like
launchers (i like them) and could actually even make having the option to
turn off the unity launcher more viable since you aren't having to use it
as the task bar anymore.
options to mix and match a few different sections based on the suggestions
people have made would work quite well for everyone i think.
--
Josh Strawbridge