Re: New design: Opening applications and documents automatically at login

> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:27:08 +0000
> From: mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: Ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Ayatana] New design: Opening applications and documents automatically at login

> Matthew Paul Thomas wrote on 20/10/11 16:34:
> >
> > For some people, it is useful to open particular applications or
> > documents every time they log in.

> > I'd appreciate your feedback on the design.
> > <https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/LoginItems>

> Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've made some changes based on
> your suggestions.
> <https://live.gnome.org/action/info/Design/SystemSettings/LoginItems?action=diff&rev2=18&rev1=17>
>

> Omar B. wrote on 20/10/11 19:37:
> >
> > I like where things are going here, but wouldn't it be better to
> > have a "remember session(s)" option (currently xfce, kde, etc. have
> > it),
>

> Remembering what was open when you logged out is an orthogonal
> problem: you might want to do that instead, or as well. The Gnome
> developers seem incapable of implementing it, but there was a session
> at UDS about making the previous partly-working implementation
> available once more.
> <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-p-gnome-session>
>
> > also kde has "Activities" which is really great feature, is like
> > having multiple user sessions with its own preferences, but very
> > easy to manage, add , delete, stop ,etc.
>

> Can you give some examples of use cases for that?
>
> mpt

I think a lot of the goals/features are similar, but since am not that familiar with the technical details for kde4 activities, i found these to be much better explained here:

http://bsmith1012.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-kde-ideas-activities.html

http://bsmith1012.blogspot.com/2011/02/changes-in-kde-46-activities.html