Re: Closer Unity

Am 27.11.2011 13:19, schrieb Davor:
> Since Unity became important part of Ubuntu, i`m very interested in
> its success.
>

> Keyboard shortcuts have recently been the subject of discussion on
> ubuntu desktop list, after the statement that unity requires "heavy
> mouse use". After few days i must agree.
> In Gnome menu you needed 2 clicks and few seconds to start any
> application - Unity takes clicks and time.
> You cannot put all of them into launcher (you can - but...you know
> what i mean).
> And there are some of them, not very suitable for launcher, that i
> frequently use like gedit, calculator, or terminal and things like
> program killer (force quit).
>

> 1.
>
> I'm not too enthusiastic about using the keyboard shortcuts for two
> major reasons:
> - it is not convenient for touch screens
> - if I have to use two hands for keyboard shortcut, I must let go the
> mouse and take my eyes off the screen
>
> Mouse is much more appropriate for gui navigation.
> As an inveterate Opera user I recalled mouse gestures:
> http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/gestures/
>
> Maybe something like that could bring Unity closer to users.
>
> There is middle click unused. Or Right doubleclick. Or holding left,
> and then right click - and variations. Then combine it with scroller.
> Separate behaviours in empty space and window area or launcher area.
>
> There should be easy mouse gesture for workspace switcher, windows
> switcher and other window controls.
>
> I suggest something like this:
>
> Any position
>  - Double center click - something very usefull like - opens (and
> closes) custom dash(keep reading) or launcher
>  - Hold center click + left click - opens (and closes) window switcher
>  - Hold center click + right click - opens (and closes) workspace
> switcher
>  - Hold center click + mouse move left then down - minimize all
> windows (show desktop)
>  - Hold center click + mouse move right then up - restore all windows
>
> Window area
>  - Center click + move up - maximize window
>  - Center click + move down - minimize window
>  - Center click + move right - next window
>  - Center click + move left - previous window
>
> Can window be grabbed with mouse and throwed onto next workspace?

Very great idea although I think that the mainly used short cuts
[super], [super + tap], [super + ^], [super + w] and [super + s] are
very handy... should be prefered for desktop you can do everything with
one hand and your mouse gestures, yeah? don't know
> 2.
>
> But that does not solves quicker application access. There are not two
> panels anymore, so i suggest CUSTOM DASH. Holder where you can put
> your application starters "not very suitable for launcher"(like
> gedit), indicators (wheather, system, classic menu), favourite folders
> shortcuts and files you`re currently working on.
> Custom dash should be very easily started with mouse from any position.
> Starters, files and folders should have right click option "add to
> custom dash".
> It could be transparent area like dash is, but windowed.

ever used gnome pie I love this thing
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/app-launcher-gnome-pie-gets-updated-with-keyboard-navigation-other-features/

> 3.
>
> Settings are now in one place, and i like it...
> ...but i don`t think they belong in launcher - they should be part of
> dash (below with home, apps, files and music).

nah , not a separated lens they should have just one position the cog menu
> 4.
>
> There is just one more thing.
>
> Now i`m sure what bothers me about this launcher: TOO MANY colours.
> Look above it, at top panel (default ambiance theme), or window panels
> - then look at the launcher.
> You will come to same conclusion.

change the backlight mode - in my opinion in should set to toggle by
default