Closer Unity

Since Unity became important part of Ubuntu, i`m very interested in its success.

Keyboard shortcuts have recently been the subject of discussion on ubuntu desktop list, after the statement that unity requires "heavy mouse use". After few days i must agree. In Gnome menu you needed 2 clicks and few seconds to start any application - Unity takes clicks and time. You cannot put all of them into launcher (you can - but...you know what i mean). And there are some of them, not very suitable for launcher, that i frequently use like gedit, calculator, or terminal and things like program killer (force quit).

1.

I'm not too enthusiastic about using the keyboard shortcuts for two major reasons:
- it is not convenient for touch screens
- if I have to use two hands for keyboard shortcut, I must let go the mouse and take my eyes off the screen

Mouse is much more appropriate for gui navigation.
As an inveterate Opera user I recalled mouse gestures: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/gestures/

Maybe something like that could bring Unity closer to users.

There is middle click unused. Or Right doubleclick. Or holding left, and then right click - and variations. Then combine it with scroller. Separate behaviours in empty space and window area or launcher area.

There should be easy mouse gesture for workspace switcher, windows switcher and other window controls.

I suggest something like this:

Any position
- Double center click - something very usefull like - opens (and closes) custom dash(keep reading) or launcher
 - Hold center click + left click - opens (and closes) window switcher
 - Hold center click + right click - opens (and closes) workspace switcher
- Hold center click + mouse move left then down - minimize all windows (show desktop)
 - Hold center click + mouse move right then up - restore all windows

Window area
 - Center click + move up - maximize window
 - Center click + move down - minimize window
 - Center click + move right - next window
 - Center click + move left - previous window

Can window be grabbed with mouse and throwed onto next workspace?

2.

But that does not solves quicker application access. There are not two panels anymore, so i suggest CUSTOM DASH. Holder where you can put your application starters "not very suitable for launcher"(like gedit), indicators (wheather, system, classic menu), favourite folders shortcuts and files you`re currently working on.
Custom dash should be very easily started with mouse from any position.
Starters, files and folders should have right click option "add to custom dash".
It could be transparent area like dash is, but windowed.

3.

Settings are now in one place, and i like it...
...but i don`t think they belong in launcher - they should be part of dash (below with home, apps, files and music).

4.

There is just one more thing.

Now i`m sure what bothers me about this launcher: TOO MANY colours.
Look above it, at top panel (default ambiance theme), or window panels - then look at the launcher.
You will come to same conclusion.

I think it needs more serious look.

Colored background is good to show that is active icon (mouse over or currently opened application).
Other icons backgrounds should have the SAME color.

Maybe when mouse is not over launcher, it could be dimmed or little more transparent.

--
Davor Buday

Follow ups