Re: drag to launcher - "raise" or "pop-out"?

On Nov 28, 2011 3:52 AM, "frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx" <
frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 05:49, Ian Santopietro <isantop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 27, 2011 3:38 PM, "frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx" <
frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

starts, many other programs work also, but not all :((

>> > so does holding the drag over Banshee's Launcher icon raise the
Banshee window?

>> It doesn't, but dropping it on the Banshee icon will start it playing.
>

> am i alone, or isn't this clearly a design regression?
>
> I still can't see how to raise the drop destination while i'm in a drag.
> During a drag it seems as if interaction is essentially blocked:
> ALT-TAB doesn't work, right-click menus over Launcher items are not
available,

> When i hold a dragged .mp3 file over e.g. Totem's Launcher item, the
object i'm dragging is decorated with a "+" emblem, which is misleading.
> Dropping onto this target won't "add" anything, it will replace the
entire current playlist.

> Drag and Drop is an important gesture in every pointing-device enabled
environment.
> Hand gestures are essential to the experience in every modern DE, AR
environment or mobile touch-enabled device.

> This worked in GNOME Panel's Window List, is it by design that Unity
fails to offer this comfort?

I believe it is. There's an important menu function, Open With..., that
before was hidden within a context menu, which currently aren't touch
friendly. This exposes this important functionality, and makes it much
faster to access.

> If not so, i'd be curious to know if there are design specs that suggest
otherwise.

> The Blueprint here
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-default-apps-unity-integration
e.g.
didn't say much about how an old and cherished comfortable DE interaction
feature simply vanished into nothingness.

> Are there any other blueprints i may study in order to satisfy my
curiosity, or is it up to the community to reverse this regression?