Re: Clippy has noticed you've been trying to click on notifications...

yea the idea of speech bubbles is very good. They are self explainable and reduce time identifying the element that generated them. Also gnome-shell uses similar on their menus and many popular websites use it for tips/notifications (i.e. fb).

for a quick mockup, next time just use a plain 1 color background and cut/paste the notification closer to the panel. Then fill in the empty area with another area of the bg :D