Re: Will Modal-Dialog windows fix this problem with Unity?

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 18:40, nick rundy <nrundy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  To help explain this problem I'm going to list an example case:
>
> - I open Update Manager and maximize the window
> -I click Install and a small window appears "on top of" the maximized
> window and displays the installation status as it progresses.
>
> -The updates are going to take a while to complete so I'd like to minimize
> the update manager window and gain visual access to my Desktop. My attempt
> to "get rid" of the update manager window is where the problem lies:
>
> -The "small modal-dialog window" does not have a "minimize" button in the
> title bar and when I move the mouse to the upper left corner to access the
> buttons for the Maximized update manager window the buttons are not
> accessible because it can't gain focus because all the focus is on the
> small modal-dialog window. I press Alt+F9 in an attempt to minimize the TWO
> update manager windows (i.e., the maximized and small "modal-dialog"
> window) but nothing happens.
>
> How can I minimize a window when a modal-dialog has taken over the focus
> of the window? Right clicking the Update Manager icon in the Launcher does
> not give a minimize option either.
>
> Anyone consider this a problem with the Unity design?

a window should change its shape and design, it should morph, rather than
spawn new little focus stealing "dialog" boxes.
MPT had a design for that iirc, morphing windows, especially pertaining to
update-manager. I don't know where all that good work went, but it surely
didn't land in 11.10, unfortunately. did it?