Will Modal-Dialog windows fix this problem with Unity?

To help explain this problem I'm going to list an example case:

- I open Update Manager and maximize the window
-I click Install and a small window appears "on top of" the maximized window and displays the installation status as it progresses.

-The updates are going to take a while to complete so I'd like to minimize the update manager window and gain visual access to my Desktop. My attempt to "get rid" of the update manager window is where the problem lies:

-The "small modal-dialog window" does not have a "minimize" button in the title bar and when I move the mouse to the upper left corner to access the buttons for the Maximized update manager window the buttons are not accessible because it can't gain focus because all the focus is on the small modal-dialog window. I press Alt+F9 in an attempt to minimize the TWO update manager windows (i.e., the maximized and small "modal-dialog" window) but nothing happens.

How can I minimize a window when a modal-dialog has taken over the focus of the window? Right clicking the Update Manager icon in the Launcher does not give a minimize option either.

Anyone consider this a problem with the Unity design?

Follow ups