Re: future of globalmenu

On 13/02/12 11:25, supernova wrote:
Hi to all. Menus are going to disappear in all application. Probably
in the future there will be no menu, but maybe something like HUD for
all OS. What is so the future of globalmenu? It is very important now,
expecially for small screens...but in a couple of year?

Supernova

I can't see it going completely. The HUD doesn't replace menus at all, it isn't browseable, you can't discover the functionality of an application using the HUD. I can see the global menu being redesigned so that it looks stylistically like the dash/hud with the translucent overlay and make it look more like it is attached to the launcher than a distinct top panel, but I don't think the HUD replaces menus, it just enhances them. On a technical level the HUD would completely fail to do anything if the application didn't have a menu as the HUD would have no data to work with.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk