Re: future of globalmenu

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Alan Bell <alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13/02/12 11:25, supernova wrote:
>
>> Hi to all. Menus are going to disappear in all application. Probably
>> in the future there will be no menu, but maybe something like HUD for
>> all OS. What is so the future of globalmenu? It is very important now,
>> expecially for small screens...but in a couple of year?
>>
>> Supernova
>>
>>  I can't see it going completely. The HUD doesn't replace menus at all,
> it isn't browseable, you can't discover the functionality of an application
> using the HUD. I can see the global menu being redesigned so that it looks
> stylistically like the dash/hud with the translucent overlay and make it
> look more like it is attached to the launcher than a distinct top panel,
> but I don't think the HUD replaces menus, it just enhances them. On a
> technical level the HUD would completely fail to do anything if the
> application didn't have a menu as the HUD would have no data to work with.

Think about HUD in this stage as just a proof-of-concept of the access to
the application menu (or other internal functionality) from outside.
In HUD the mapping was done to add the possibility to search, but anything
is possible in the future including :
Use of circular menus (revisualization of the old menu)
Use of spiral menus
Use of gesture to access a feature
Use of any other modality to activate actions.
(different uses for tablets, computers, TVs...)

So designers and HCI devs/researchers, you can imagine new use cases and
post it here !