Re: creating .desktop files to add launcher entries

On 19/02/12 14:57, Evan Huus wrote:

At the moment, empty launcher space has no interactions at all. I recall from an earlier discussion (when it was suggested to add a 'Settings' to the quicklist of empty launcher space) that this was a design choice, that empty space shouldn't have any interactions. I can't find the discussion at the moment, but perhaps someone else could confirm this.
ok, this just felt to me like where I would go looking for the option, but fine, put it somewhere else. I just think there should be a simple and discoverable way to add a launcher icon. I don't really like alacarte as a method, it is not installed by default, it is not discoverable and it kind of rubs in that we don't have an organised menu of applications any more - plus you do the alacarte thing, it adds an icon to the apps lens somewhere in with the 200 other icons in there, you then have to search for it and then drag it to the launcher (or run it and right click and lock to the launcher which actually works now there is a .desktop file). This is a long process, even if there is a gui to do it. I don't really start out thinking I want an icon in the apps lens, what I want is an icon on the launcher, what I really don't start out thinking is that I need to edit my gnome menu options. The relationship between the old gnome menu and the apps lens really isn't there for most people, you have to know what is going on under the hood to have any notion that they are related.

Alan.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk