Re: creating .desktop files to add launcher entries

i think Alan's suggestion was more that we needed an editor instead of
where to click to show the editor.
basically saying we need a more unity specific alacarte and just mentioned
two places that seemed like logical access points.

alacarte does have the basics l but i don't think it's really a good
solution to the user's suggestion at least not without some work done to it.

it doesn't give the option to add the .desktop file to the launcher as was
a part of Alan's suggestion.
it doesn't give the option to add it user specifically or system wide as
Alan's suggestion did.
it can't show/hide or add/remove dash filters as you mentioned.
it can't add/edit quicklists as you mentioned.
it doesn't add things into the filters into the dash even if it's in a menu
that the dash already has.
it creates extra .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications each time
you move something to a different menu causing duplicates of that item to
show up in the dash.

it is logical that the editor would be in the system settings and it also
seems like a good quick access point would be right clicking on the dash
button since the editor would affect things in the dash and launcher.

a number of us have been missing a decent user friendly not buggy way to
edit our new menus (dash/launcher) since unity hit in 11.04.