Re: Gnome Panel Creates Window Offsetting

> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 03:40:11 +0100
> From: joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx
> To: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Unity-design] Gnome Panel Creates Window Offsetting
>
> On 21. feb. 2012 03:21, Colton Allen wrote:
> > If a user prefers to have their unity bar fixed (not set to autohide)
> > then the close, minimize, and maximize buttons are offset to the left.
> > It disjoints the experience. Why not have the Unity Bar take
> > preference before the gnome panel. Users with a fixed bar will not be
> > forced to deal with the offset and users with an autohide bar will
> > have the gnome panel expand to fill the space left by the, now hidden,
> > unity bar.
> >
> > Has this been taken into account? I think I read somewhere that the
> > bar will be fixed by default now.
> >
> > Example: http://i.imgur.com/K4Z0L.png
> >
> When you say Unity Bar, you mean the vertical one at the left hand side,
> right? That is actually called the Launcher. Unity does not use Gnome
> Panel. That's a different desktop. It's called Unity Panel.
>
> It is indeed an issue, and I've spent some time trying to come up with a
> better solution – including the one you present. The problem with your
> idea is that it would make it more difficult to close windows without
> hitting the Ubuntu button, similar to the previous issues with the
> launcher in auto-hide.

hmm, i actually find the exact opposite. The misalignment makes it harder for me to close windows and instead i get a menu..., because i use the context of the window/app borders as reference.

We need to let users decide if they want these misaligned windows. I for one just think this looks ugly or gives the impression of being half baked/ un finished, and sadly that's the traditional impression linux has always given..