Re: Quit vs Close - Quicklists

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx
<frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> the right-click menu in the launchers for e.g. Empathy or Transmission show
> an entry labeled "Quit".
> Clicking this item does not make the applications quit, it merely closes
> their respective main window.
>
> Quit and Close should be treated in a distinctive manner, this is important
> to the mental equivalent of holding on to an appliance and putting an
> appliance back into the tool shelf.
>
> Does this require further discussion?

There is some discussion about this in a bug report I filed a while
ago: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/616447

It was sent to ayatana-design in January, so I'm sure someone will
chime in about it in the future. Maybe you'd like to subscribe to that
bug report :)

And I agree "Quit" is flawed for two reasons: it doesn't quit, and the
launcher doesn't really express application state anyway. A running
application will disappear from the launcher when all its windows are
closed, at which point you will be unable to "quit" it from the
launcher. It creates false expectations, and (speaking as someone who
once sold computers to people) those never end well.

Dylan