unity-design team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Re: Compiz Spread
On 02/28/2012 09:23 PM, Nekhelesh Ramananthan wrote:
The compiz spread that is currently seen in Ubuntu is a nice way to
see all the applications running. However, when you have many windows
open it can sometimes be confusing which window is what. I was
reading through some blog post about Gnome Shell having a similar
feature but they provide an important improvement.
1. They provide the application title below the windows shown in the
2. They provide a close button to close the application directly in
the spread itself.
Thoughts? I think this would make an interesting update for spread mode.
The topic has been mentioned a few times . I'll sum up my views on how
the spread (scale) should be improved (including your remarks) :
1. Change the speed from 1.4 to 4 (the animation becomes
counterproductive after the eye candy marvelling period)
2. Make the option to close windows with middle click (in Scale addons)
a default (after the browsers introduced it for the tabs I think it
became a standard)
3. Add a "X" like GNOME , so those who don't know about the middle click
can handle closing
4. Application titles . I haven't investigated it , but I think there is
some problems with the titles in Scale , the options for displaying
titles is there ,but it isn't working.
5. Show icon by default . When there are many windows all of them look
the same and I think it's best to have the option ,to show icons in the
bottom-right of the windows ,selected by default (though I think the
best one is with the big transparent icons . That means we need higher
resolution icons , wich raises a whole bunch of problems , so it's not
going to happen) .
There may have been something else , but I'll be happy if the proposed
default settings changes happen .