Re: (In)Accessibility of Unity in current Precise

On 06/03/12 14:47, Nolan Darilek wrote:
Wait, you mean there's *this much breakage* in a *beta*?
yes. There are expected to be broken things in a beta, but I do agree that if the with-eyes experience was as bad as it is eyes-free right now then it probably wouldn't go out of the door.

On the plus side I do believe that the fixes are really quite small, and then I expect it will be quite good in comparison to older releases. What concerns me the most is that things are not being tested until too late. *Designs* are not tested for accessibility. The design team should be doing accessibility testing before anyone writes any code. It should be known roughly what script an orca user would hear when going through the dash or the hud or the menus etc. before they get coded up. This is massively easier to do than drawing pictures for the visual design (it is just text) and would probably help the design and implementation process much more than it would be any kind of overhead.

I don't use that sort of language lightly on public mailing lists,
yeah, best not to. It doesn't really make your point any stronger and then people end up focussing on that and not the broken software that needs fixing.

Alan

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk