Re: No more dodge windows in Unity?

There's an interesting book: Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.

I think it's important to take into consideration that Mac and Windows are what people have known for a long time. It literally has shaped their unconscious expectations of what to expect from computer behavior. So testing has to be careful to not exclude scenarios where exposure to a new concept is not eliminated simply because it is not immediately understood by the user. Once exposure sets in, a new method may actually be a superior way of doing things but testing doesn't immediately prove it out because of long-ingrained habits and expectations formed by Windows and Mac.

From: gehringfelix@xxxxxx
To: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:52:50 +0100
Subject: Re: [Unity-design] No more dodge windows in Unity?

It is an interesting point though. I never thought about it, but just like new users of Ubuntu may be confused by the seemingly "disappeared" menu bar they may not understand the dodge windows behavior of the launcher.

In 12.04 the menu bar is visible for a few seconds after an application has been launched, such that new users have a chance to spot it. This could also be a good idea for the launcher. After maximizing a window (or starting a full screen application) the launcher stays on the screen for a while and than moves out.

I don't have an Ubuntu machine here right now to check, so this may already be implemented. Never mind, if it is....