No more dodge windows in Unity?

Hi all,

I just updated to the latest Unity pre-release on Precise and the way
the launcher hides has changed.

Previously the default was for it to dodge windows - now, it is
automatically set to never hide. The Appearance->Behaviour settings
allow configuring always-hide and never-hide, but do not allow
configuring the old 'dodge windows' method.

On the assumption that his is intentional (and not a brown-paper-bag
bug), why? The non-techies who I've set up with Oneiric haven't had
any trouble grasping the dodge-windows concept, and it's really the
only usable option on smaller screens such as netbooks (always-hide is
too confusing when first logging in, and never-hide takes too much
space).

I haven't heard any discussion on this list about the issue, so I'm
curious as to the reasoning. Would someone more familiar with the
change please comment?

Thanks,
Evan

P.S. For those with a technical bent, CCSM can be used to restore the
old 'dodge windows' behaviour for now.

Follow ups