Re: Reduce Dash Icon Clutter

On 04/06/2012 08:02 PM, Thibaut Brandscheid wrote:
When maximizing the installed programs in the Application Lens there are way too many icons that are meaningless to average users, cluttering the 'Installed' scope and reducing the usefulness furthermore. Just an idea popped up to my mind on how to reduce the clutter a bit without loosing functionality:

Replace all system settings related entries by one system setting icon.

If e.g. a user types 'privacy' in the Dash, instead of displaying the privacy icon (current state), the system setting icon appears with an additional text 'privacy' -- see Mock-up <https://launchpadlibrarian.net/100460380/dash_remove_system_settings_clutter.png>. When the user clicks on the icon, he gets directly to the privacy options in the system settings.

This way we reduce the clutter by 23 icons without reducing functionality!

See bug #975340 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/975340>

What do you think?

@Thibaut, as much I appreciate your idea, I am thinking of how this can be implemented. How can we relate a specific user call to that specific setting using just 1 desktop file. Meaning how can we make Privacy call in the dash open not just the system setting but rather the privacy panel in the system settings with just one desktop file?

Any thoughts on how can this be implemented?