Re: thank you

Den 14. april 2012 17:42, skrev Pedro Bessa:

Ubuntu is far more open to external suggestions than the others.

Think I'll chime in on that one. The behaviour you describe, has been very common in the software world in general. For instance, in many IRC channels for open projects, it's been common to discourage new users from participating. If you've asked questions that are obvious to the more experienced users, you've been told to "rtfm", be named as a "n00b", etc.

This is very destructive for many reasons. The most obvious problem is that you're reducing the number of potential contributors by discouraging them from participating. The less obvious problem is that as we become more experienced, our minds are more limited by our own expectations. You know things are easy because you do it all the time, and you forget that they once weren't easy at all. The question should always be "is it easy for a new user to do this?" But that question cannot be answered properly without allowing new users to participate. When we know something is impossible, we don't waste time trying. But as the situation changes, the impossible becomes possible. You just need some fresh perspectives to remind you of that.

Ubuntu has always been very good at this, and the Ubuntu Code of Conduct is a big part of that. If you haven't read it, you should: https://launchpad.net/codeofconduct/1.1

Anyone who behaves properly, and makes an effort should always be welcome.

--
Jo-Erlend Schinstad