Re: Is Unity 5.10 the reference implementation of Unity Specification 1.0?

Den 16. april 2012 22:43, skrev James Gifford:
So in short, what you're saying in this entire thing is:

Guys, lets just follow http://semver.org/

Right? Or am I missing something important?

It's similar, but not the same. That document refers to software. I'm talking about specifications. But Unity is a set of different things, right? So even if NotifyOSD and the LauncherAPI both follow the idea you're describing, that still won't make Unity as a whole more comprehensible. Indeed, quite the contrary. A version increment for one part makes perfect sense, but not for another. So, it's been split up. There's no whole. No Unity.

It would be better to say that I'm advocating a «Holistic approach to documentation». I think this is probably the most important thing we can do in Ubuntu now, and we should do it right now, as part of the New Ubuntu. In the old days, learning how to develop on GNU/Linux was very difficult. Not because the tools themselves were difficult, but because there were so many of them, in different versions and with lots of outdated documentation, or documentation that wasn't obviously relevant.

That was the Old Ubuntu. In the New Ubuntu, documentation is easy to find. There are paths to follow when you want to learn something. All documentation is obviously either relevant or irrelevant. You should never ever feel that learning something new is a gamble.

Unity should lead by example.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad