From: me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:20:35 +0100
To: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Unity-design] Minimize on launcher icon click

Hi all,
A month or so ago I wrote a patch for Unity that implements this wontfixed request which was made more than a year ago: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/733349.

The issue is that clicking on launcher icons with a single window of that app open does nothing, which is very unintuitive. My patch makes that case minimize the window instead, and also provides a quicklist item to do so, for the case of multiple windows. I've attached the patch, and you can install it from my PPA, ojno/unity-minimize-on-click, here: https://launchpad.net/~ojno/+archive/unity-minimize-on-click. I've tried to make a screencast to demonstrate it but my only Precise install atm is in a virtualbox, and I can't get any screen recorders to work. Maybe someone else could post one.

When I first released this it was covered on WebUpd8 (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/unity-with-minimize-on-click-patch.html) and OMGubuntu (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/how-to-minimize-apps-to-the-unity-launcher-in-ubuntu-12-04/), but I decided to hold off on this email until Precise was released, given you all must have been busy testing. Great release, btw. Mostly. ;)

Please reconsider the wontfixing of this. It's a tiny patch, doesn't interfere with Spread or anything else, and makes window management much easier.
Thanks,

Jonathan French