Re: Multiseat

As a starting point for wizard set up:

1) When you first start the wizard it appears on both screens and introduces what multiseat is (many people may not know) 2) Clicking next shows two different messages on each screen. On the primary screen the wizard says "We will set up this seat first", whilst on the second screen it says "We will set up the other seat first". On the first screen the "Next" button is enabled, the second screen has no "Next" button. 3) You now run through the wizard on the first screen. Peripheral set up is done by asking for input from any devices that want to be linked with this screen. i.e. "Now it's time to add your devices to this seat. To add a device, simply activate it. e.g. If you want to add a keyboard, type something. If you want to add a mouse, move it a little." ***Note: How to detect non-input devices*** 4) After adding each device the user is presented the option of adding another or continuing to the next stage. 5) If multiple sound cards are found (or a sound card with multiple outputs is detected) the wizard now goes through the sound set up. Firstly it says "Would you like to select a different set of speakers for each seat, or would you like all seats to use the same set?" Selecting either one takes the user to the next step. If only a single output is detected the question changes to "Would you like to use the speakers for all of the seats, or for just a single seat?". For both questions a smaller size note is placed at the end saying: "For more advanced options, select 'Advanced'". This will load the advanced settings part (see later) but where the close button takes the user back to this screen. 6) Wizard says: "When you're ready, click 'Start' and I will now play a series of tones. When the tone is coming from the speakers that you want to use for this seat, click 'Stop'." If the user selected 'Use a single set of speakers for all seats' at the last screen, the words "for this seat" are omitted from this explanation, such that it reads "coming from the speakers that you want to use, click 'Stop'." 7) The first screen now says "That's it! We will set up the second seat now". At this point the wizard on the second screen has changed to say "Excellent! We will set up this seat now." 8) The wizard is repeated for the second screen, at the end of which the wizard on both screens says "Excellent! You can now start using multiseat! To change more options, click the 'Advanced' button, or click the 'Finish' button to close this wizard. If you ever want to change the settings, or disable multiseat, just run this wizard again."

When running the wizard on a machine with an existing, multiseat configuration the first screen (with the information about multiseat) asks the user to select one of three options:
1) Run the Initial Setup again
2) Enable/Disable multiseat
3) Change advanced settings

Each seat would have a tab for it's own advanced settings. There are only three settings I can think of at the moment for advanced settings:
1) This seat has control of new devices? [Yes (default), No]
2) Automatically replace devices for this seat? [Yes (default), No]
3) Which speakers would you like to use for this seat? [None, Desktop Speakers, Device 2, etc.]

Each of these would have an explanation at the side of the screen, not only for each setting, but for each potential value as well. The first is fairly self-explanatory. By default, any new devices which are plugged in will be given to all seats, with the user able to manually turn off control of new devices for each seat. The second refers to a feature whereby, if 'Replace devices' is set to 'Yes', if a device which was previously set up for a seat cannot be detected, and a new, similar device is detected, it is automatically given to the seat which 'lost' its device. e.g. When I set up my multiseat configuration, I had a logitech mouse set to be the mouse for seat 2. I unplug that device and plug in a belkin trackball. The multiseat configuration detects that a new pointer device has been connected, and gives it to seat 2, as this lost it's pointer device. The third again is fairly self explanatory, although choosing a new option should play a tone through that set of speakers, to confirm that this is correct.

Note that whilst this description is for a 2 seat configuration, it could work just as easily with 3 or more seats. The only thing I can't think of at the moment is how to detect non-input devices (external hard drives, etc) and more importantly, how to convey any such method to the user in a clear instruction. Obviously there's probably a lot of other things I haven't thought of, but i thought this might provide a starting point.

Matt