Re: Chameleonic theme

That was exactly my concern with transparency. That's why it thought a chameleonic theme might be better. As far as I remember, the themes are defined in css and the ambiance themes use a base colour, which is then adjusted to get the darker/lighter shades. My idea would be simply to alter that base colour to the same colour chosen by the rest of the unity shell. Since this would be a one time write to a text file every time the background changed, it shouldn't be a problem for day to day use. I suppose the only impact might be on people with dynamic backgrounds (something I believe canonical said they would look into for 12.10 earlier on this list), where the colour value would change over the course of the day.

I think I have a way of creating a chameleonic theme initially so I'll put it together and see how it looks. The only thing I can't work out how to do at the moment is detect when the wallpaper is changed, without polling every few seconds (to avoid delays between changing the wallpaper and the theme updating). If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

p.s. I was intending to write this as a bash script, so methods of detecting the wallpaper change in bash only would be preferable.