Re: proposal for making ubuntu really faster

On 27 May 2012 10:53, supernova <supernova.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got this idea: let's start automatically the icons on the launcher
> at login, or at least the most used (I know preload and so on...) as
> nautilus, firefox, libreoffice. This will give the perception of fast
> start at the first click.

This feature already exists, essentially, in the package preload

> So as you log in nautilus will be opened and reduced to icon on the
> launcher. When a user clicks on nautilus icon, it will open as fast as
> it was reduced to icon, and not as if we had to open it for the first
> time.

Rather than actually launching the programs that are used regularly,
it loads them and the libraries they depend on into ram (as cache), so
they should start up in the same time as they would after being
started and then closed.

> What do you all think?
>
> Well, it won't make Ubuntu run faster, but will give perception of it,
> but in some sense, world is perception and appearance...

Install the preload package and test it out yourself :)

--
Matt Wheeler
m@xxxxxxxxxxxx