Re: proposal for making ubuntu really faster

OK so I read your proposal as using graphics to communicate that the process is occuring, even if it is taking longer than usual.

I find that the launcher icon pulsing does not provide enough feedback. When you launch a program and it doesn't start for a while, there are (for me anyway) two questions:
1) Did it actually register me clicking on it?
2) Is it actually launching?

The launcher icon pulsing answers question 1 very well (although if launching the program from somewhere other than the launcher, it can take a little while for the icon to appear) It doesn't, however, address number 2. The problem with number 2 is a combination of previous experiences. Occasionally when I click a launcher icon, it pulses for a while, but the program never launches. On other occasions, the program does launch, but it takes considerably longer than normal. As it stands, I have no way of determining whether the program is simply loading slowly, or if it is stuck for whatever reason.

One program that deals with this issue is LibreOffice, by providing a splash screen with a progress bar. Linking to your idea, how about using the progress bars on the launcher icons to show that the program is loading, and that it is actually progressing?

The mention about the KDE icons on startup was an idea to address a similar issue on login. Currently, I enter my password, hit Enter and nothing happens. Sometimes the LightDM elements disappear, leaving me with just my wallpaper, sometimes they don't. This is particularly frustrating as A) If I have entered my password incorrectly, I see the same behaviour (no change -> long wait -> 'Incorrect password' message) and B) if login is slow, I am left with no feedback that it is actually progressing.

So basically, I liked the idea of non-verbal, more extensive feedback.
Matt