Re: Simplifying the interaction of Unity Dash

On 06/12/2012 02:09 AM, Contempo wrote:
http://i47.tinypic.com/xnynw9.png

- The circles on the right indicate the Applications page where you
are, like Android or iOs, but scroll down.

If a user really does scan more results that fit on one page, paging should be of advantage, as I see no reason, why seeing part of the previous page would help.

Though for search-based access, I suspect that somewhere above 9 results, showing any further matches does more to crowd the screen, less to help the user.

- The 3 rows of lens applications would be eliminated. ('Recent
Applications' by now would have no better use than the left-launcher.
Why 'Installed Applications' are hidden? by showing all of those icons
you can get a better view of what is in the system. 'Applications to
download' is redundant with the action that meets Ubuntu Software
Center, which performs the function of recommending applications)

- The lens Applications replace the home. (The home is divided in
three rows, the most recent elements are found in the left-launcher or
lenses)

- The window control buttons removed. (The Ubuntu button opens and
closes the dash, full screen always keeps your attention)

- Categories filters removed. (More options for subdivision
applications only brings more complexity, to this is the search and
quick scroll with circles)

Personally, I use the Dash exclusively for search-based access to files, folders and applications. No switching to specific lenses, no using Filters. If I would want to limit results to one lense, it should be possible by text entry or at least with a click close to where my pointer will be (which is not the bottom of the Dash!).

The exception where I could see myself using Filters is for music, but it's questionable if those needs aren't better served by a specialized interface.

Do others on the list use the Dash differently?

Much more important: has Canonical's user testing led to any insight regarding the depth and frequency of use of the Dash's current features?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/