Auto-hide launcher not usable on touch screens

Hello,

when I set the unity launcher to auto hide, I cannot get it to appear using my fingers or the tablet pen on the touch screen, I have to use the mouse/touchpad. I tried setting the sensitivity to high, but it didn't help.

I see two problems here:

First, on a machine without mouse and keyboard, the user is stuck with a pretty unusable desktop after (accidentially?) setting the launcher to auto hide and closing the settings dialogue. I am not sure if there is Ubuntu for such devices currently, but it is not hard to imagine that this will exist in the future. For me on my convertible laptop, it was at least inconvenient to have to turn the display to laptop mode and revert the setting.

Second, I'd really like to use the auto-hide launcher with touch. In tablet mode, my resolution is 768x1366, so every horizontal pixel counts, and the launcher uses at least 5% of them. As the launcher is not movable to another screen edge (I would have plenty of space on the top and bottom), I would like to set it to auto hide. But of course I can't always turn the display in order to switch windows etc.

So please consider adding a method to make the auto-hide launcher useful on touch screens. Perhaps some sort of gesture? Or is there already such a way, and I just didn't discover it?

Greetings, Philipp

Follow ups