Re: Auto-hide launcher not usable on touch screens

Hi,

Am 12.06.2012 16:40, schrieb Yann Brelière:
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Philipp Wendler
<ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

So please consider adding a method to make the auto-hide launcher useful
on touch screens. Perhaps some sort of gesture? Or is there already such a
way, and I just didn't discover it?

I don't know if it's implemented yet, but there is already a gesture to
open the launcher and the dash :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch

Thanks for pointing me to the wiki page.

Unfortunately, the 3- and 4-finger gestures are not working for me.
(2-finger scrolling is working in applications, although not smoothly).

I have a Lenovo X220 Tablet, which has a Wacom as a touchscreen.
Should I report a bug about this?

    - 4 finger swipe left/right to reveal launcher (if the dock autohide
    is enabled)

    - 4 finger tap to open dash

*(As I understand it, 2-fingers gestures are application-level, 3-fingers
gestures are window-level, and 4-fingers gestures are desktop-level.)*

There is still the issue of discoverability.
I have never used Macs or other multi-touch devices before this one, and I only rarely remembered people talking about 2-finger scolling and zooming, so I tried it out. But I consider myself as a computer expert, and I think novices would not know it. And even I had never heard of more-than-2-finger gestures. For opening the dash, I tried a finger-swipe to and from the left edge of the screen, but after this had no other ideas.

Greetings, Philipp