Re: Nautilus' Context Menus Getting Out of Hand

I think too that the context menu needs to be redesigned.
Another thing that I think is missing are *content aware actions* for the
most common use cases - therefore I like the idea of the 'Further Action'
menu <http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24505/>.
*We have the year 2012 an it should be possible to resize a bunch of images
with the default install of Ubuntu easily for an average user or
merging/spiting two pdf files.*

Open With >       (app DEFAULT, app 1, app 2...)
---------------
Cut
Copy
Move to Trash
---------------
Further Actions >  Compress...
Rename               Share...
---------------            Make Link
Properties            -------------
                           Resize...
                           Convert to...

The purposed context menu has only 7 entries contrary to the default of 16
entries without loosing any functionality - IMHO.

The structure of the further action menu should have two parts:
Part 1 - static actions like 'Compress...' (Deja Dup would go here, if acc
is set up)
Part 2 - content aware actions like 'Resize...'

Having a shorter context menu makes a lot of sense from a usability point
of view. The first layer (the context menu) has now only often used items
(move to trash, copy, cut, rename), "all other" actions are in the 'Further
Actions" menu and for the user predictable (I know that I can convert, so I
will expect that when clicking on a mp3 file and click convert that it will
offer me to convert to an other music file type).