Re: Lens switching via Mouse - Forward/Backward Keys

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Ryan Prior <ryanprior@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Marco Kirchberger
> <marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > today the most mouse devices have extra keys for forward and backward
> > navigation in different applications.
>
> I think that the mouse sends an alt+left or alt+right (to my knowledge
> there's no special API for reading hardware forward/back commands.)

Not true. Most applications treat them the same as an alt+left/right, but
they do appear separately. If you open xev, for example, the back/forward
buttons on my mouse appear as ButtonPress events (with button values of 8
or 9), whereas alt+left/right appear as KeyPress events.

I don't know that alt+left/right would be an appropriate default
> shortcut for moving between lenses, but if there were a way to
> configure that behaviour, it could be nice for power users.

I don't see why it would make a bad default - those key-combos aren't used
for anything else in the dash right now.

Just my two cents,
Evan