Apport needs to be disabled by default, or to be "silent"

I've noticed with ubuntu 12.04 apport is enabled by default. Now I see the
value in having a larger base of users reporting crash data, but this can
really make ubuntu seem unstable and buggy to a new user, definitely not a
good impression if ubuntu wants more mainstream usage. I get these damn
popups every few days, and they are always tiny crashes that don't have any
real-world effect on my system, and they are always bugs that are already
reported.

I think apport should either be disabled by default, or have an opt-in
option (maybe an option that shows up during the install?) to silently
report crash data in the background if the bug is already reported.

Follow ups