Re: Apport needs to be disabled by default, or to be "silent"

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 12:55 -0400, Brandon Watkins wrote:
> I've noticed with ubuntu 12.04 apport is enabled by default. Now I see
> the value in having a larger base of users reporting crash data, but
> this can really make ubuntu seem unstable and buggy to a new user,
> definitely not a good impression if ubuntu wants more mainstream
> usage. I get these damn popups every few days, and they are always
> tiny crashes that don't have any real-world effect on my system, and
> they are always bugs that are already reported.
>
> I think apport should either be disabled by default, or have an opt-in
> option (maybe an option that shows up during the install?) to silently
> report crash data in the background if the bug is already reported.

Hey Brandon,

So I believe the default setting should be that the crashes will be
grabbed but only have the signature checked by default.  So there is no
dialog.  There was a bug that was causing some systems to show the
dialog, but I can't seem to find it.  I'm cc'ing Evan as I'm sure he'll
know, perhaps you can contribute to that bug so that we can get this
fixed.

	Thanks!

		Ted