Re: Very awesome design mockup

On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:23 PM, Gregory Merchan <gregory.merchan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Ryan Gauger <rtgkid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Scrollbars have been on the right ever since I've been alive. It's not natural for them to be on the left. We can't exactly do it even if we wanted to either, because it wouldn't work with a lot of apps that use scrollbars. Ubuntu would lose a lot of users if we moved scrollbars to the left. I don't have any proof, but I just know we would. Moving scrollbars to the left is just not practical. Those are my thoughts on this subject.
>
> Are you 12? Younger really. I'm pretty sure I still saw scroll bars on
> left in some places after 2000.
>
> "Not natural"? Neither is the electronic beast before you. Please.
>
> ". . . would lose users if . . . don't have any proof . . ." I
> appreciate your honesty. You may be the first person to make the
> "we'll lose users" claim and recognize he was talking out his opinion.
>
> "Moving scrollbars to the left is just not practical." You could have
> gone on. I would have with something like, ". . . because we're in no
> position to make changes that would look weird and like they are just
> for the sake of change."
Close, 1997 is my birth year. I haven't ever seen scrollbars on the left in any operating system. I would much rather have scrollbars on the right, because that's the way it's always been in Ubuntu. Scrollbars in Windows 1.0 (I have tested it in a virtual machine) were on the right. I definitely want scrollbars on the right, and I suspect a lot of users want their scrollbars on the right because they are used to having them there. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

---Ryan